Being on a diet can be incredibly challenging and overwhelming, which is why I always advise people to eat at a calorie deficit rather than restrict themselves from their favorite foods. This is especially the case if you’re trying to lose weight, and this is why this article will share 3 dinner recipes under 500 calories.
The number of calories in one serving of food could easily set you back if food servings or ingredients aren’t properly measured. No worries though, as there are many ways to enjoy your favorite foods while still keeping within your calorie budget.
For those of you already counting calories in your foods – well, congrats! Cause that’s the way to true weight loss. There’s no need to cut out carbs or eat foods that are boring and bland. There are a lot of recipes that are both filling and great tasting with minimal calories. You just have to know how to prepare them.
So, in case you’ve run out of options, here are 3 dinner recipes under 500 calories that you can get started on. Whether you want chicken, beef, or a vegetarian option, you’ll find an option for you below.
Stir Fry Soy Honey Chicken
- 150 grams of Chicken Breast, cut into strips
- 1 small carrot, cut into strips
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 2 cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp of light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
How to cook:
1. In a pan under medium heat, put oil.
2. Once hot, sear the chicken breast until light brown. Flip to cook the other side.
3. When the chicken is cooked, set aside. On the same pan, saute onion and garlic. Once translucent, saute carrots and red bell peppers for about 3 minutes.
4. Add the cooked chicken and season with light soy sauce, salt, and pepper. Stir occasionally for another 3 minutes.
5. Place in a bowl once cooked. Drizzle with honey while hot and serve immediately.
This tasty chicken dish is great for 2 servings with an estimate of 400 calories each.
Easy Balsamic Veggie Salad with Grilled Beef
For the grilled beef:
- 200 grams of beef tenderloin, cut into thin slices
- 2 tbsp of light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp of Italian Herb Mix
For the salad:
- 300 grams of Cabbage, chopped into strips
- 100 grams of carrot, thinly sliced into strips
- 1 medium-sized White Onion, sliced into strips
- 1 large tomato, cut into cubes
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 cloves of finely minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
How to cook:
1. For the grilled beef, mix all ingredients and marinate for at least 30 minutes. Grill over charcoal or in a stove-top grill pan for both sides. Use the remaining marinade for basting.
2. For the salad dressing, mix all ingredients and it can be adjusted slightly according to taste preference.
3. Mix all the ingredients for the salad, then toss in the dressing. Top with the grilled beef while hot.
A dash of chili flakes can be added to the dressing. The recipe serves 2 people with approximately 400 calories each serving.
- 200 grams of Extra Firm Tofu, cut into thin rectangles
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 medium white onion
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
For the Fajita Seasoning:
- 1/2 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 tbsp Cumin powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
How to cook:
1. Fry the Tofu in olive oil until golden brown, then slice into strips.
2. For the Fajita Seasoning, mix all ingredients well.
3. In the same pan, reduce oil and saute red and green bell pepper and onion for about 3 minutes in medium heat.
4. Add in the sliced tofu and mix for another minute. Get 2 tbsp of the fajita mix and sprinkle on the dish.
Store the remaining fajita mix for future use. This dish serves 2 with an estimate of 300 calories for each.
How To Lose Weight While Eating Your Favorite Meals
While these meals are all under 500 calories, I’d like to stress that there’s no need to go on any kind of crash diet or restrict your favorite foods just to lose weight and get fit.
I teach people how to eat at a daily 400 calorie deficit because it seems to be a sweet spot where you can actually enjoy your favorite foods while also losing approximately 4 – 5 pounds monthly.
If you don’t know how to calculate this deficit for yourself, visit this article here, which will show you step by step exactly how to do it. You’ll also learn how to determine how much protein you should eat a day so that your weight loss is in the form of fat and not muscle or bone density.
In my experience, following a proven workout routine combined with a proper eating plan has done absolute wonders for me. If you’d like to learn more about this, visit one of the links below:
Dinners Under 500 Calories In Summary
I hope you found these dinner recipes to be useful. If you measure out all the ingredients properly, they should all be under 500 calories and you should be well on your way to hitting your fitness goals.
Remember, measuring is crucial if your goal is to lose weight. I always suggest using a food scale to make sure you’re hitting your numbers on a daily basis.
The idea in this article was to help you out with some recipes that were delicious, satisfying, and healthy all at the same time. Whether you’re vegan, or a carnivore, I’m hoping at least one of these works for you.
Thanks so much for reading. I really appreciate you being here. If you have any questions at all or know of other dinners under 500 calories, I’d love to hear them. Just leave any feedback below. Thanks again!